No. 1 Penn State Hockey Falls in Two-Game Series against No. 11 Ohio State

No. 1 Penn State Hockey Falls in Two-Game Series against No. 11 Ohio State

This past weekend proved to be a tough one as two ranked teams squared off in Pegula Ice Arena.

No. 1 Penn State sought redemption against No. 11 Ohio State, the only team to have dealt Penn State a loss in the Big Ten.

Unfortunately, the series did not go as planned, and Penn State went winless in a series for the first time this season.

Friday night’s game saw Penn State draw with Ohio State, 3-3, with Ohio State scoring the point in overtime (which is not counted in college hockey).

In a night of epic back-and-forth scoring, it was Penn State who struck first, with James Robinson (Cochrane, Alberta) using two passes from Kris Myllari (Kanata, Ontario) and Nate Sucese (Fairport, N.Y.) to sink a shot behind the Buckeyes’ netminder.

Ohio State returned the favor with a goal 12 minutes into the second.

Vince Pedrie (Rochester, Minn.) used his own skill to win a puck in front of the net and convert it to the second Nittany Lion goal of the evening, just before the end of the second.

Ohio State began the third by tying things up with a goal that was quickly responded to by a Blue and White point courtesy of Alec Marsh (Bridgewater, N.J.).

With just six minutes to go, Ohio State snuck one past Peyton Jones (Langhorne, Pa.) to tie up the game.


Ohio State won the shootout, but the game is counted as a tie due to collegiate hockey rules.

Penn State outshot Ohio State 59-27

Saturday’s game was a gutsy battle for the title series winner. Despite outshooting Ohio State 44-28, Penn State fell 6-3 in regulation time.

David Thompson (Glen Mills, Pa.) got the game started with a Blue and White goal just two minutes into the first thanks to an assist by team captain David Goodwin (Des Peres, Mo.).

Ohio State proceeded to go on a three-goal run that stretched into the second period, putting Penn State behind by two points.

Myllari, assisted by Brandon Biro (Sherwood Park, Alberta), powered a shot past Ohio State’s goalie to bring Penn State within one point of tying it up.

Ten minutes later, Andrew Sturtz (Buffalo, N.Y.) secured a third Penn State goal just before the end of the second period.

The third period, sadly, belonged to Ohio State as they hammered in three goals with no response from the Lions to end the game as a Penn State loss.

Despite this difficult loss, Penn State looks to improve this week as they head to Philadelphia to play formidable foe Princeton at 7 p.m. as part of the Philadelphia College Hockey Faceoff.