No. 13 M. Volleyball Defeat Cal Baptist, W. Tennis Defeats Minnesota in Conference Match
- 13 M. Volleyball fought hard for a victory against Cal Baptist 3-1. Each game was extremely close in scoring, but it was the Lions who closed in on a win. Luke Braswell (Manchester, Pa.) led the team in assists (42) while Aidan Albrecht (Old Bridge, N.J.) contributed a team-high 11 digs. Matt Callaway (Wheaton, Ill.) led the team blocks with four. “I thought we just kept fighting and coming back,” said head coach Mark Pavlik of his team. The men travel to Illinois this coming Friday to take on the Lewis University Flyers at 7 p.m.
- Gymnastics continued their season of excellence by securing a win against Michigan this past weekend at home. The team took down the Wolverines 409.200 - 405.300. Sam Zakutney (Ottawa, Ontario) took the title for floor exercise, Leroy Clarke, Jr. (Maplewood, N.J.) secured the overall for the pommel horse, Dominic DiFulvio (Marietta, N.Y.) took home the still rings title, and Zakutney secured the all-around title as well. “We had a really good meet today,” said head coach Randy Jepson. The team will host Iowa next Saturday at 3 p.m.
- Gymnastics also had success and tied for sixth (195.200) at the Big Ten Championships. Michigan claimed the title of Champion with a score of 197.300. On the uneven bars, Sabrina Garcia (Etters, Pa.) tied for second while Briannah Tsang (Vancouver, British Columbia) tied for seventh overall in the meet. Both Tsang and Garcia were named to the Big Ten All-Championships Team. “The team gave it everything they had tonight and we couldn’t be more proud of them,” said interim head coach Kera Molinaro.
- Softball swept the competition at the GW Capital Classic, capturing a 13-4 win against Niagara and a 4-2 win against George Washington University. Senior Shelby Miller (Sugar Land, Texas) had four RBI on the day, bringing her into the eighth spot for RBI in program history. Madison Seifert (Wildwood, Mo.) started game one and Marlaina Laubach (Northampton, Pa.) closed out the game for the win. The women will take on Robert Morris at home this Wednesday at 5 p.m.
- Tennis secured a win against Minnesota in a conference match this weekend. Samantha Smith (Cary, N.C.) and Katia Blik (Moscow, Russia) won each of their singles matches and Bennett Dunn (Orlando, Fl.) defeated her opponent in a tiebreaker. “I was proud of our team, but we have a short turnaround as we take on Wisconsin,” said head coach Chris Cagle. “We will be ready for another battle.” The team travels to Wisconsin to contend with the Badgers on Sunday, March 19. Good luck, ladies!
Congratulations to wrestling, hockey, and all of our spring sports teams an a historic weekend!