Penn State Trounces, then Ties, Michigan State

Penn State Trounces, then Ties, Michigan State

The Men’s Hockey team (8-7-1, 3-4-1) had a weekend of success against Michigan State in their latest battle at Pegula Ice Arena. The team both won and tied the Spartans in front of crowds of nearly six thousand this past weekend.

On Friday, Penn State dominated the Spartans with a 7-2 win.

Just one minute into gameplay Penn Stater Kris Myllari (Kanata, Ontario) sank the punk behind MSU’s keeper. Freshman standout Evan Barratt (Bristol, Pa.) was not far behind, and just over a minute later he put one of his own behind the line to give the Lions a 2-0 lead.

The charged first period continued as MSU notched their first of the evening at the seven-minute mark.

Liam Folkes (Scarborough, Ontario) was assisted by freshman Alex Limoges (Winchester, Va.) just before the halfway point in the first period to return the two-point lead to the Lions.

Freshman Sam Sternschein (Syosset, N.Y.) continued to prove himself as a dominant force on offense as he sank one goal right at the end of the first, and then opened the second with another goal just 50 seconds in.

Michigan State managed to sneak one more past goalie Peyton Jones (Langhorne, Pa.) midway through the second, but Folkes came roaring back thanks to an assist from Myllari and put Penn State up, 6-2.

Junior powerhouse Andrew Sturtz (Buffalo, N.Y.) locked in the victory with a decisive goal thanks to an assist from classmate Chase Berger (St. Louis, Mo.) with six minutes to go in the third.

Jones recorded 27 saves for the Lions, while the team logged 37 shots on the Spartans.


The next evening, the Spartans came back hungry for a win, but couldn’t quite scrape together more than enough to tie the Lions 2-2.

A scoreless first period gave way to an exciting second period in which Penn State opened up the scoring with Barratt knocking one in with the help of Brett Murray (Bolton, Ont.) at the thirteen-minute mark.

Michigan State did not take kindly to being behind yet again, and scored two goals before the intermission, leaving Penn State down by one point heading in to the third period.

As fans watched the seconds tick away in the third period, the Blue and White kept working hard, determined to walk away without a loss.

It was Trevor Hamilton (Grosse Pointe Farms, Mich.) who was in the right place at the right time as he slammed in a rebound from teammate Kevin Kerr’s (Bensalem, Pa.) initial shot with just under 40 seconds to go to tie the game.

In the shootout, Michigan State took home the extra point as only Sturtz was able to sink a shot for the Lions.

Jones recorded 21 saves while the Blue and White logged 43 shots on the Spartans.

Next week, the team travels to Columbus, Ohio, to take on No. 11-ranked Ohio State for a 7 p.m. faceoff on Friday and 4 p.m. faceoff on Saturday. Good luck, Lions!